- Research in BME Education
- Ph.D., Chemical Engineering, Cell and Developmental Biology Concentration, University of South Carolina, 2008
- B.S., Chemical Engineering, Minor in Computer Science, Texas Tech University, 2004
- Teaching Associate Professor, 2015-present
- Sr Lecturer and Chief Program Advisor, 2012-2015
- Lecturer and Chief Academic Advisor, 2009-2012
- Research in BME Education
- Engineering Education
- Bioreactor Design and optimization
- AFM of biological samples
My main research objective is to study applications of research-based pedagogy in the classroom and across a curriculum as well as design of assessment strategies for measuring student learning. Most of my educational research is at the program level, focusing on changes in faculty development and training needed to support new pedagogy as well as tracking student performance and development across the curriculum. I also have a passion for bringing professional skills (communication, ethics, historical perspectives, intercultural competency, and life-long learning) into the forefront of engineering education. My work spans K-12 outreach, undergraduate, graduate, and professional education settings.
Selected Articles in Journals
- Amos, J.R., Choi, H., Long, K.D., Rusch, A. (2016), “Assessing Intercultural Competency in an E-Learning Environment”, Proceedings of the 123rd ASEE Annual Conference and Expedition, New Orleans, LA.
- Amos, J.R., Jensen, K., Pool, M., Vozenilek, J. (2016), “Immersive First-year Experience for Bioengineering Curricula”, Proceedings of the 123rd ASEE Annual Conference and Expedition, New Orleans, LA.
- Amos, J.R. and Cope, W.J. (2017) “Capacity Building Through an e-Learning Environment to Create New Educational Opportunities in a Developing Country”, ASEE International Forum, Columbus OH.
- Cross, K.J., Clancy, K.B.H., Hunter, C.D.A, and Amos, J.R., (2017), “The Double Bind of Race and Gender: A Look into the Experiences of Women of Color in Engineering”, Proceedings of the 124th ASEE Conference and Expedition, Columbus, OH.
- Amos, J.R. and Brunet, M.C. (2017), “Pre-post Assessment in a Speaking Communications Course and the Importance of Reflection in Student Development of Speaking Skills”, Proceedings of the 124th ASEE Conference and Expedition, Columbus, OH.
- Herman, G.L., Amos, J.R., Cross, K.J., Silverman, D., Bashir, R., Loewenstein, J. (2017), “Defining the Frontiers of Bioengineering Education at Illinois and Beyond”, Proceedings of the 124th ASEE Conference and Expedition, Columbus, OH.
- Norris, Russell A., Moreno-Rodriguez,Ricardo A., Yukiko Sugi1, Hoffman, Stanley , Amos, Jennifer R, Potts, Jay D., Goodwin, Richard L., and Roger R. Markwald. Periostin Regulates Atrioventricular Valve Maturation. Developmental Biology. 316(2), 2008.
- Amos, Jennifer R., Potts, Jay D., Yost, Michael, Li, Shigeng. Ploehn, Harry. Limb bud mesenchyme cultured under tensile strain remodel collagen type I tubes to produce fibrillar collagen type II. Biorheology: 46 (6) 2009.
- Amos, Jennifer R. Capstone Experiences That Build Discipline Identity. International Journal for Engineering Education: Special Capstone Edition, 28 (4) 2012.
- Moore, Keith, Amos, Jennifer, Davis, Jeffrey, Gourdie, Robert, Potts, Jay D. Characterization of Polymeric Microcapsules Containing a Low Molecular Weight Peptide for Controlled Release. Microscopy and Microanalysis (19), 2013.
- Ansari, A., Lee-Montiel, F. T., Amos, J. R. and Imoukhuede, P. I., Secondary anchor targeted cell release. Biotechnol. Bioeng.: (112) 2015. doi:10.1002/bit.25648
- “New Course Tracks to Industry, Engineering at Illinois Magazine, 3 (1), p 10.
- “Simulated Practice Makes Perfect,” Engineering at Illinois Magazine, 3 (1), p 11.
- “Seniors develop Bioreactor lab to help undergraduates gain hands-on experience“, Engineering at Illinois, Top Stories, April 2011.
- “Amos's Atomic Microscope Gives Students Close-Up Look at Cells,” I-STEM Top Stories, August 2011.
- “BioE Students Shine in Senior Design”, I-STEM Top Stories, May 2012.
- accolades 7 Oct 2018 Amos named Woman of the Year by Central Illinois Business magazine
- accolades 29 May 2018 Pool named Engineering Innovation Fellow