Gregory H. Underhill
- Molecular, Cellular and Tissue Engineering
- Ph.D., Biomedical Engineering, Northwestern University
- M.S., Biomedical Engineering, Northwestern University
- B.S., Chemical Engineering, Northwestern University
- Affiliate Faculty, Institute for Genomic Biology, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 3/2012-present
- Assistant Professor, Department of Bioengineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 11/2011-present
- Research Scientist, Health Sciences and Technology/Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2007-2011
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Health Sciences and Technology/Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2005-2007
For more information
- Molecular, Cellular and Tissue Engineering
- Tissue engineering, stem cell differentiation, microfabrication, biomaterials, high-throughput analysis
- Liver development, liver-blood interactions, tumor microenvironments, engineered tissue tolerance
Chapters in Books
- Kaylan KB, Underhill GH. Hydrogels for hepatic tissue engineering, in Applications of Hydrogels in Regenerative Medicine. (eds. M.R. Abidian, U. Gurkan, F.Edalat), World Scientific, in press.
- Shan J, Stevens KR, Trehan K, Underhill GH, Chen AA, Bhatia SN. Hepatic tissue engineering, in Molecular Pathology of Liver Diseases. (ed. S.P.S. Monga), Springer, 2010.
- Underhill GH, Khetani SR, Chen AA, Bhatia SN. Tissue engineering of the liver, in The Liver: Biology and Pathobiology, 5th edition. (ed. I.M. Arias), Wiley-Blackwell, 2009.
- Underhill GH, Flaim CJ, Bhatia SN. Extracellular matrix microarrays and stem cell fate, in Methods in Bioengineering: Stem Cell Bioengineering. (eds. B. Parekkadan and M.L. Yarmush), Artech House, 2009.
- Underhill GH, Khetani SR, Chen AA, Bhatia SN. Liver Tissue Engineering, in Principles of Tissue Engineering, Third Edition (eds. R. Lanza, R. Langer, and J.P. Vacanti), Elsevier, 2007.
- Underhill GH, Felix J, Allen JW, Liu Tsang V, Khetani SR, Bhatia SN. Tissue Engineering of the Liver, in Culture of Cells for Tissue Engineering (eds. G. Vunjak-Novakovic and I. Freshney), John Wiley and Sons, 2005.
Selected Articles in Journals
- Bhatia SN, Underhill GH, Zaret KS, Fox IJ. Cell and tissue engineering for liver disease. Sci Trans Med, 6, 245sr2, 2014. Featured on journal cover.
- Reticker-Flynn NE, Braga-Malta DF, Winslow WM, Lamar JM, Xu MJ, Underhill GH, Hynes RO, Jacks TE, Bhatia SN. A combinatorial extracellular matrix screen identifies cell-ECM interactions that correlate with metastasis. Nat. Commun, 3, 1122, 2012.
- Underhill GH. Stem cell bioengineering at the interface of systems-based models and high-throughput platforms. Wiley Interdiscip Rev Syst Biol Med, 2012.
- Underhill GH, Galie P, Chen CS, Bhatia SN. Bioengineering methods for analysis of cells in vitro. Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol, 28, 385-410, 2012.
- Chen AA*, Underhill GH*, Bhatia SN. Multiplexed, high-throughput analysis of 3D microtissue suspensions. Integrative Biology, 2, 517-527, 2010. *Authors contributed equally. Featured on journal cover.
- Albrecht DR*, Underhill GH*, Resnikoff J, Mendelson A, Bhatia SN, Shah JV. Microfluidics-integrated time-lapse imaging for analysis of cellular dynamics. Integrative Biology, 2, 278-287, 2010. *Authors contributed equally.
- March S, Hui EE, Underhill GH, Khetani, S, Bhatia SN. Microenvironmental regulation of the sinusoidal endothelial cell phenotype in vitro. Hepatology, 50, 920-928, 2009.
- Underhill GH, Bhatia SN. High-throughput analysis of signals regulating stem cell fate and function. Curr Opin Chem Biol, 11, 357-66, 2007.
- Albrecht DR, Underhill GH, Mendelson A, Bhatia SN. Multiphase electropatterning of cells and biomaterials. Lab Chip, 7, 702-9, 2007.
- Underhill GH*, Chen AA*, Albrecht DR, Bhatia SN. Assessment of hepatocellular function within PEG hydrogels. Biomaterials, 28, 256-70, 2006. *Authors contributed equally.
- Albrecht DR, Underhill GH, Wassermann TB, Sah RL, Bhatia SN. Probing the role of multicellular organization in three-dimensional microenvironments. Nat Methods, 3, 369-75, 2006.
- Underhill GH*, Zisoulis DG*, Kolli KP, Ellies LG, Marth JD, Kansas GS. A crucial role for T-bet in selectin ligand expression in T helper 1 (Th1) cells. Blood, 106, 3867-73, 2005. *Authors contributed equally.
- Underhill GH, Kolli KP, Kansas GS. Complexity within the plasma cell compartment of mice deficient in both E- and P-selectin: implications for plasma cell differentiation. Blood, 102, 4076-83, 2003.
- Underhill GH, George D, Bremer EG, Kansas GS. Gene expression profiling reveals a highly specialized genetic program of plasma cells. Blood, 101, 4013-21, 2003.
- Ellies LG, Sperandio M, Underhill GH, Yousif J, Smith M, Priatel JJ, Kansas GS, Ley K, Marth JD. Sialyltransferase specificity in selectin ligand formation. Blood, 100, 3618-25, 2002.
- Minges Wols HA, Underhill GH, Kansas GS, Witte PL. The role of bone marrow-derived stromal cells in the maintenance of plasma cell longevity. J Immunol, 169, 4213-21, 2002.
- Underhill GH, Minges Wols HA, Fornek JL, Witte PL, Kansas GS. IgG plasma cells display a unique spectrum of leukocyte adhesion and homing molecules. Blood, 99, 2905-12, 2002.
- White SJ, Underhill GH, Kaplan MH, Kansas GS. Cutting edge: differential requirements for Stat4 in expression of glycosyltransferases responsible for selectin ligand formation in Th1 cells. J Immunol, 167, 628-31, 2001.
- research 7 Feb 2018 Research identifying extracellular matrix biomarkers may lead to targeted lung cancer therapies
- research 28 Jul 2016 Underhill working to decipher microenvironments of liver