- Synthetic Bioengineering
- Ph.D., California Institute of Technology, 1998
- B.S., University of Science and Technology of China, 1992
For more information
- Synthetic Bioengineering
- Molecular Bioengineering and Biotechnology
Selected Articles in Journals
- J. Liang, Y. Luo, and H. Zhao. "Synthetic Biology: Put Synthesis in Biology." Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews: Systems Biology and Medicine, 3, 7-20 (2011).
- S. Li, J. Du, J. Sun, X. Yang, J. M. Galazka, N. L. Glass, J. H. D. Cate, and H. Zhao. "Overcoming Glucose Repression in Mixed Sugar Fermentation by Co-expressing a Cellulobiose Transporter and a β-Glucosidase in Saccharomyces cerevisiae." Molecular Biosystems, 6, 2129 - 2132 (2010).
- T. W. Johannes, M. A. DeSieno, B. M. Griffin, P. Thomas, N. L. Kelleher, W. W. Metcalf, and H. Zhao. "Deciphering the Late Biosynthetic Steps of Antimalarial Compound FR900098." Chemistry and Biology, 17, 57-64 (2010).
- M. McLachlan, K. Chockalingam, K. Lai, and H. Zhao. "Directed Evolution of Orthogonal Ligand Specificities in a Single Protein Scaffold." Angewandte Chemie International Edition, 48, 7783–7786 (2009).
- F. Wen, N. U. Nair, and H. Zhao."Protein Engineering in Designing Tailored Enzymes and Microorganisms for Biofuels Production." Current Opinion in Biotechnology, 20, 412-419 (2009).
- W. Zha, S. Rubin-Pitel, and H. Zhao. "Increasing Cellular Malonyl-CoA Level in E. coli via Metabolic Engineering." Metabolic Engineering, 11, 192-198 (2009).
- Z. Shao, H. Zhao, and H. Zhao. "DNA Assembler, an in vivo Genetic Method for Rapid Construction of Biochemical Pathways," Nucleic Acids Research, 37, e16 (2009).
- Y. Choi, H. Zhang, J. S. Brunzelle, S. Nair, and H. Zhao. "In vitro Reconstitution and Structure of an Arylamine N-Oxygenase Involved in Biosynthesis of Aureothi,." Proceedings of National Academy of Sciences, USA, 105, 6858-6863 (2008).
- Z. Shao, J. A. V. Blodgett, B. T. Circello, R. Woodyer, G. Li, W. A. van der Donk, W. W. Metcalf, and H. Zhao. "Biosynthesis of 2-Hydroxyethylphosphonate, an Unexpected Intermediate Common to Multiple Phosphonate Biosynthetic Pathways," J. Biological Chemistry, 283, 23161-23168 (2008).
- H. Zhao and W. Zha. "In vitro 'Sexual' Evolution through the PCR-based Staggered Extension Process (StEP)." Nature Protocols, 1, 1865-1871 (2006).
- J. Lee and H. Zhao, "Mechanistic Studies on the Conversion of Arylamines into Arylnitro Compounds by Arylaminopyrrolnitrin Oxygenase: Identification of Intermediates and Kinetic Studies," Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 45, 622-625 (2006).
- K. Chockalingam, Z. Chen, J.A. Katzenellenbogen, and H. Zhao, "Directed Evolution of Specific Receptor-Ligand Pairs for Use in the Creation of Gene Switches," Proc. Nat. Acad. USA, 102, 5691-5696 (2005).