Andrew M. Smith
- Bio-Micro and Nanotechnology
- Ph.D. Bioengineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, 2008
- B.S. Chemistry, Georgia Institute of Technology, 2002
- Professor, Technology Entrepreneurship, UIUC, 2017-Present
- Assistant Professor, Carle Illinois College of Medicine, 2017-Present
- Associate Head of Undergraduate Programs, Department of Bioengineering, UIUC, 2017-Present
- Research Theme Faculty, Omics Nanotechnology for Cancer Precision Medicine (ONC-PM), Carl R. Woese Institute for Genomic Biology, UIUC, 2016-Present
- Interim Associate Head of Undergraduate Programs, Department of Bioengineering, UIUC, 2016-2017
- Full-Time Resident Faculty, Micro and Nanotechnology Laboratory (MNTL), UIUC, 2013-Present
- Affiliate Faculty, Department of Materials Science and Engineering, UIUC, 2013-Present
- Assistant Professor, Department of Bioengineering, UIUC, 2012-Present
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Biomedical Engineering, Emory University, 2008-2012
For more information
- Bio-Micro and Nanotechnology
- Obesity comorbidities
- Live-cell imaging
- Intravital microscopy
- Single-molecule imaging
- Cancer biology
- Quantum dot chemistry and physics
Chapters in Books
- Zahid MU and Smith AM. Single-molecule imaging with quantum dots, chapter in Optical Nanoscopy and Novel Microscopy Techniques, CRC Press (2014).
- Smith AM, Wen MW, Wang MD, and Nie SM. Size-minimized quantum dots for molecular and cellular imaging, chapter in Single Molecule Spectroscopy in Chemistry, Physics, and Biology, Springer (2009).
- Rhyner MN, Smith AM, Gao XH, Mao H, Lily L, and Nie SM. Quantum dots and targeted nanoparticle probes for in vivo tumor imaging, chapter in Nanoparticles in Biomedical Imaging, Springer (2007).
- Ruan G, Agrawal A, Smith AM, Gao XH, and Nie SM. Quantum dots as fluorescent labels for molecular and cellular imaging, chapter in Reviews in Fluorescence, Springer (2006).
- Smith AM and Nie SM. Semiconductor quantum dots for molecular and cellular imaging, chapter in Biomedical Engineering Handbook, 3rd edition, CRC Press (2006).
Selected Articles in Journals
- Le P, Chitoor SN, Smith AM. Molecular profiling of single cells with quantum dots. Methods in Molecular Biology (accepted).
- Lim SJ, Schleife A, Smith AM. Optical determination of crystal phase in semiconductor nanocrystals. Nature Communications. 8: 14849 (2017).
- Mukherjee P, Lim SJ, Wrobel T, Bhargava R, Smith AM. Measuring and predicting the internal structure of semiconductor nanocrystals through Raman spectroscopy. Journal of the American Chemical Society. 138: 10887-10896 (2016).
- Wan Y., Carson JA, Kesler BA, Peng W, Su P, Al-Mulla SA, Lim SJ, Smith AM, Dallesasse JM, Cunningham AM. Compact characterization of liquid absorption and emission spectra using linear variable filters integrated with a CMOS imaging camera. Scientific Reports. 6: 29117 (2016).
- Ma L, Liu T-W, Wallig MA, Dobrucki IT, Dobrucki LW, Nelson ER, Swanson KS, Smith AM. Efficient targeting of adipose tissue macrophages in obesity with polysaccharide nano-carriers. ACS Nano. 10: 6952-6962 (2016).
- Lim SJ, Ma L, Schleife A, Smith AM. Quantum dot surface engineering: toward inert fluorophores with compact size and bright, stable emission. Coordination Chemistry Reviews. 320-321: 216-237 (2016).
- Ma L, Tu C, Le P, Chitoor SN, Lim SJ, Zahid MU, Teng KW, Ge P, Selvin PR, Smith AM. Multidentate polymer coatings for compact and homogeneous quantum dots with efficient bioconjugation. Journal of the American Chemical Society. 138: 3382-3394 (2016).
- Lim SJ, McDougle DR, Zahid MU, Das A, Smith AM. Lipoprotein nanoplatelets: fluorescent, zwitterionic probes with rapid cellular entry. Journal of the American Chemical Society. 138: 64-67 (2016).
- Grolman JM, Zhang D, Smith AM, Moore JS, Kilian KA. Rapid extrusion of 3D tumor microenvironments. Advanced Materials. 27: 5512-5517 (2015).
- Chung EY, Ochs CJ, Wang Y, Lei L, Qin Q, Smith AM, Strongin AY, Kamm R, Qi Y-X, Lu SY, Wang YX. Activatable and cell-penetrable multiplex nanosensors for profiling MT1-MMP activity in single cancer cells. Nano Letters. 15: 5025-5032 (2015).
- Lim SJ, Zahid MU, Le P, Ma L, Entenberg D, Harney AS, Condeelis J, Smith AM. Brightness-equalized quantum dots. Nature Communications. 6: 8210 (2015).
- Dobrucki W, Pan D, Smith AM. Multiscale imaging of nanoparticle drug delivery. Current Drug Targets. 16: 560-570 (2015).
- Lane LA, Qian XM, Smith AM, Nie SM. Physical chemistry of nanomedicine: Nanoparticle interactions with molecules, cells, and tissues. Annual Review of Physical Chemistry. 66: 521-547 (2015).
- Wang Y, Cai E, Rosenkranz T, Ge P, Teng K, Lim SJ, Smith AM, Chung HJ, Sachs F, Green WN, Gottlieb P, Selvin PR. Small Quantum Dots Conjugated to Nanobodies as Immunofluorescence Probes for Nanometric Microscopy. Bioconjugate Chemistry. 25: 2205-2211 (2014).
- Lane LA, Smith AM, Nie SM. Compact and blinking-suppressed quantum dots for single-particle tracking in live cells. Journal of Physical Chemistry B. 118: 14140-14147 (2014).
- Cai E, Ge P, Lee SH, Jeyifous O, Wang Y, Liu Y, Wilson KM, Lim SJ, Baird MA, Stone JE, Lee KY, Davidson MW, Chung HJ, Schulten K, Smith AM, Green WN, Selvin PR. Stable small quantum dots for synaptic receptor tracking on live neurons. Angewandte Chemie. 53: 12484-12488 (2014).
- Smith AM, Lane LA, Nie SM. Mapping the spatial distribution of charge carriers in quantum-confined heterostructures. Nature Communications. 5: 4506 (2014).
- Lim SJ, Smith AM, Nie SM. The more exotic shapes of semiconductor nanocrystals: emerging applications in bioimaging. Current Opinion in Chemical Engineering. 4: 137-143 (2014).
- Ma L, Kohli M, Smith AM. Nanoparticles for combination drug therapy. ACS Nano. 7: 9518-9525 (2013).
- Kairdolf BA, Smith AM, Stokes TD, Wang MD, Young AN, Nie SM. Semiconductor quantum dots for bioimaging and biodiagnostic applications. Annual Review of Analytical Chemistry. 6: 143 (2013).
- Smith AM, Nie SM. Compact quantum dots for single-molecule imaging. Journal of Visualized Experiments. 68: e4236 (2012).
- Smith AM, Nie SM. Bright and compact alloyed quantum dots with broadly tunable near-infrared absorption and fluorescence spectra through mercury cation exchange. Journal of the American Chemical Society. 133: 24-26 (2011).
- Smith AM, Wen MM, Nie SM. Imaging dynamic cellular events with quantum dots. The Biochemist. 32:12-17 (2010).
- Smith AM, Nie SM. Semiconductor nanocrystals: structure, properties, and bandgap engineering. Accounts of Chemical Research. 43: 190-200 (2010).
- Smith AM, Mancini MC, Nie SM. Bioimaging: second window for in vivo imaging. Nature Nanotechnology. 4: 710-711 (2009).
- Smith AM, Nie SM. Next-generation quantum dots. Nature Biotechnology. 27: 732-733 (2009).
- Mohs AM, Duan, HW, Kairdolf BA, Smith AM, Nie SM. Proton-resistant quantum dots: stability in gastrointestinal fluids and implications for oral delivery of nanoparticle agents. Nano Research, 2: 500-508 (2009).
- Smith AM, Mohs AM, Nie SM. Tuning the electronic and optical properties of colloidal nanocrystals by lattice strain. Nature Nanotechnology. 4: 56-63 (2009).
- Smith AM, Nie SM. Nanocrystal synthesis in an amphibious bath: spontaneous generation of hydrophilic and hydrophobic surface coatings. Angewandte Chemie. 47: 9916-9921 (2008).
- Kairdolf BA, Smith AM, Nie SM. One-pot synthesis, encapsulation, and solubilization of size-tuned quantum dots with amphiphilic multidentate ligands. Journal of the American Chemical Society. 130: 12866-12867 (2008).
- Smith AM, Nie SM. Minimizing the hydrodynamic size of quantum dots with multifunctional multidentate polymer ligands. Journal of the American Chemical Society. 130: 11278-11279 (2008).
- Mancini MC, Kairdolf BA, Smith AM, Nie SM. Oxidative quenching and degradation of polymer encapsulated quantum dots: new insights into the long term fate of semiconductor nanocrystals in vivo. Journal of the American Chemical Society. 130: 10836-10837 (2008).
- Smith AM, Duan HW, Mohs AM, Nie SM. Bioconjugated quantum dots for in vivo molecular and cellular imaging. Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews. 60: 1226-1240 (2008).
- Kairdolf BA, Mancini MC, Smith AM, Nie SM. Minimizing nonspecific cellular binding of quantum dots with hydroxyl-derivitized surface coatings. Analytical Chemistry. 80: 3029 (2008).
- Xing Y, Smith AM, Agrawal A, Ruan G, Nie SM. Molecular profiling of single cancer cells and clinical tissue specimens with semiconductor quantum dots. International Journal of Nanomedicine. 1: 473-481 (2006).
- Smith AM, Duan HW, Rhyner MN, Ruan G, Nie SM. A systematic examination of surface coatings on the optical and chemical properties of semiconductor quantum dots. Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics. 8: 3895-3903 (2006).
- Rhyner MN, Smith AM, Gao XH, Mao H, Yang L, Nie SM. Quantum dots and multifunctional nanoparticles: new contrast agents for tumor imaging. Nanomedicine. 1: 209-217 (2006).
- Smith AM, Dave S, Nie SM, True L, Gao XH. Multicolor quantum dots for molecular diagnostics of cancer. Expert Review of Molecular Diagnostics. 6: 231-244 (2006).
- Smith AM, Ruan G, Rhyner MN, Nie SM. Engineering luminescent quantum dots for in vivo molecular and cellular imaging. Annals of Biomedical Engineering. 34: 3-14 (2006).
- Smith AM, Gao XH, Nie SM. Quantum dot nanocrystals for in vivo molecular and cellular imaging. Photochemistry and Photobiology. 80: 377-385 (2004).
- Bailey RE, Smith AM, Nie SM. Quantum dots in biology and medicine. Physica E. 25: 1-12 (2004).
- Smith AM, Nie SM. Chemical analysis and cellular imaging with quantum dots. Analyst. 129: 672-677 (2004).
- research 17 May 2017 First significant examples of optical crystallography for nanomaterials
- news 16 May 2017 Nine BioE professors among Carle Illinois College of Medicine inaugural faculty