- Bio-Micro and Nanotechnology
- Ph.D., Agricultural Engineering, University of Saskatchewan, Canada, 1989
- M.S., Agricultural Engineering, University of Saskatchewan, Canada, 1985
- B.S., Agricultural Engineering, Shandong Institute of Technology, China, 1978
- Professor, 2003-date, Agricultural and Biological Engineering Department, University of Illinois Urbana Champaign
- Affiliate, Bioengineering Dept, Mechanical Science and Engineering Dept and Civil & Environmental Engineering Dept, University of Illinois Urbana Champaign
- Associate Professor, 1996-2003, Agricultural Engineering Department, University of Illinois Urbana Champaign
- Research Scientist - Engineering and Adjunct Professor, 1992-1996, University of Saskatchewan, Canada
- Research Associate, 1990-1992, Department of Agricultural Engineering, University of Illinois Urbana Champaign
- Postdoctoral Fellow, 1989-1990, Agricultural and Bioresources Engineering, University of Saskatchewan, Canada
For more information
- Bio-Micro and Nanotechnology
- Indoor air quality, effect of indoor air quality on occupants, heating, ventilation and air-conditioning control, waste treatment
- Professor Zhang has pioneered the research in Environment-Enhancing Energy (E2-Energy), in which he combines waste treatment, water cleaning, carbon dioxide sequestration and biofuel conversion into one process. He has successfully converted biowaste including animal and human waste, food processing waste and algae into crude oil using thermochemical conversion (TCC) much similar to mother-nature’s petroleum-formation, but in a few minutes rather than geological years. Professor Zhang’s research is to enhance the quality of living by focusing on the immediate environment of living things, people, animal and plants. One of his research areas is indoor air quality engineering. His team has developed and continued research on aerodynamic filter-less air cleaning; and three-dimensional, near-real-time volumetric particle tracking velocimetry (VPTV) for room air flow measurement and modeling. His book, Indoor Air Quality Engineering, has been used as textbook in several universities.
Books Authored or Co-Authored (Original Editions)
- Two-stage acid-alkaline hydrothermal pretreatment of miscanthus for fermentable sugars production Guo, B., Morgenroth, E. & Zhang, Y. 2009 St, Joseph, Mi: ASABE.
- Indoor air quality engineering Zhang, Y. 2005 Boca, Raton, Fla: CRC Press.
- Solutions manual for Indoor air quality engineering Zhang, Y. 2004 London: CRC.
- Thermochemical conversion of swine manure to produce fuel and reduce waste : project report Zhang, Y., Riskowski, G. & Funk, T. 1999 Urbana, Il: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
- Thermochemical conversion of swine manure to produce oil and reduce waste : project report Zhang, Y., Riskowski, G. & Funk, T. 1999 Urbana, Il: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
- Efficiency of a negative ionization system on dust settling in a confinement swine building Tanaka, A. & Zhang, Y. 1996 Regina: Agriculture Development Fund, Saskatchewan Agriculture and Food.
Selected Articles in Journals
- Bio-crude production from kitchenwaste through hydrothermal liquefaction Qu, Z., Liu, Z., Zhu, Z., Li, B. & Zhang, Y. May 28 2016 In : Taiyangneng Xuebao/Acta Energiae Solaris Sinica. 37, 5, p. 1327-1333 7 p.
- Comparing three methods for photosynthetic bacteria separation and recycling during wastewater treatment Lu, H., Zhang, G., Dai, X., Yuan, G., Cao, W., Zhang, Y. & Li, B. Jun 8 2016 In : Desalination and Water Treatment. 57, 27, p. 12467-12477 11 p.
- Continuous production of biohythane from hydrothermal liquefied cornstalk biomass via two-stage high-rate anaerobic reactors Si, B. C., Li, J. M., Zhu, Z. B., Zhang, Y. H., Lu, J. W., Shen, R. X., Zhang, C., Xing, X. H. & Liu, Z. Nov 21 2016 In : Biotechnology for Biofuels. 9, 1, 254
- Extract Nitrogen-Containing Compounds in Biocrude Oil Converted from Wet Biowaste via Hydrothermal Liquefaction Chen, W. T., Tang, L., Qian, W., Scheppe, K., Nair, K., Wu, Z., Gai, C., Zhang, P. & Zhang, Y. Apr 4 2016 In : ACS Sustainable Chemistry and Engineering. 4, 4, p. 2182-2190 9 p.
- Microbial electrolysis cell to treat hydrothermal liquefied wastewater from cornstalk and recover hydrogen: Degradation of organic compounds and characterization of microbial community Shen, R., Liu, Z., He, Y., Zhang, Y., Lu, J., Zhu, Z., Si, B., Zhang, C. & Xing, X. H. Feb 23 2016 In : International Journal of Hydrogen Energy. 41, 7, p. 4132-4142 11 p.
- Nutrient recovery and biomass production by cultivating Chlorella vulgaris 1067 from four types of post-hydrothermal liquefaction wastewater Zhang, L., Lu, H., Zhang, Y., Li, B., Liu, Z., Duan, N. & Liu, M. Apr 1 2016 In : Journal of Applied Phycology. 28, 2, p. 1031-1039 9 p.
- On the Lagrangian features of circular and semicircular jets via 3D Particle Tracking Velocimetry Kim, J. T., Zhang, Z., Liberzon, A., Zhang, Y. & Chamorro, L. P. Oct 1 2016 In : Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science. 77, p. 306-316 11 p.
- Recovery of reducing sugars and volatile fatty acids from cornstalk at different hydrothermal treatment severity Zhu, Z., Liu, Z., Zhang, Y., Li, B., Lu, H., Duan, N., Si, B., Shen, R. & Lu, J. Jan 1 2016 In : Bioresource Technology. 199, p. 220-227 8 p.
- Towards biohythane production from biomass: Influence of operational stage on anaerobic fermentation and microbial community Si, B., Liu, Z., Zhang, Y., Li, J., Shen, R., Zhu, Z. & Xing, X. Feb 23 2016 In : International Journal of Hydrogen Energy. 41, 7, p. 4429-4438 10 p.
- Using co-metabolism to accelerate synthetic starch wastewater degradation and nutrient recovery in photosynthetic bacterial wastewater treatment technology Lu, H., Zhang, G., Lu, Y., Zhang, Y., Li, B. & Cao, W. Apr 2 2016 In : Environmental Technology (United Kingdom). 37, 7, p. 775-784 10 p.