- Bio-Micro and Nanotechnology
- Ph.D., Agricultural Engineering, University of Saskatchewan, Canada, 1989
- M.S., Agricultural Engineering, University of Saskatchewan, Canada, 1985
- B.S., Agricultural Engineering, Shandong Institute of Technology, China, 1978
- Professor, 2003-date, Agricultural and Biological Engineering Department, University of Illinois Urbana Champaign
- Affiliate, Bioengineering Dept, Mechanical Science and Engineering Dept and Civil & Environmental Engineering Dept, University of Illinois Urbana Champaign
- Associate Professor, 1996-2003, Agricultural Engineering Department, University of Illinois Urbana Champaign
- Research Scientist - Engineering and Adjunct Professor, 1992-1996, University of Saskatchewan, Canada
- Research Associate, 1990-1992, Department of Agricultural Engineering, University of Illinois Urbana Champaign
- Postdoctoral Fellow, 1989-1990, Agricultural and Bioresources Engineering, University of Saskatchewan, Canada
For more information
- Bio-Micro and Nanotechnology
- Indoor air quality, effect of indoor air quality on occupants, heating, ventilation and air-conditioning control. His team has developed and continued research on aerodynamic filter-less air cleaning; and three-dimensional, near-real-time volumetric particle tracking velocimetry (VPTV) for room air flow measurement and modeling. His book, Indoor Air Quality Engineering, has been used as textbook in several universities.
- Professor Zhang has pioneered the research in Environment-Enhancing Energy (E2-Energy), in which he combines waste treatment, water cleaning, carbon dioxide sequestration and biofuel conversion into one process. He has successfully converted biowaste including animal and human waste, food processing waste and algae into crude oil using thermochemical conversion (TCC) much similar to mother-natureâ€™s petroleum-formation, but in a few minutes rather than geological years. Professor Zhangâ€™s research is to enhance the quality of living by focusing on the immediate environment of living things, people, animal and plants.
Books Authored or Co-Authored (Original Editions)
- Indoor air quality engineering Zhang, Y. 2005. Boca, Raton, Fla: CRC Press. (635 pages)
- Solutions manual for Indoor air quality engineering Zhang, Y. 2005 London: CRC.
- Thermochemical conversion of swine manure to produce fuel and reduce waste : project report Zhang, Y., Riskowski, G. & Funk, T. 1999 Urbana, Il: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
Selected Articles in Journals
- Extract Nitrogen-Containing Compounds in Biocrude Oil Converted from Wet Biowaste via Hydrothermal Liquefaction Chen, W. T., Tang, L., Qian, W., Scheppe, K., Nair, K., Wu, Z., Gai, C., Zhang, P. & Zhang, Y. Apr 4 2016 In : ACS Sustainable Chemistry and Engineering. 4, 4, p. 2182-2190 9 p.
- On the Lagrangian features of circular and semicircular jets via 3D Particle Tracking Velocimetry Kim, J. T., Zhang, Z., Liberzon, A., Zhang, Y. & Chamorro, L. P. Oct 1 2016 In : Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science. 77, p. 306-316 11 p.