- Bioimaging at Multi-Scale
- Ph.D. Medical Physics, University of Wisconsin, Madison 1983
For more information
- Bioimaging at Multi-Scale
- Medical imaging systems development particularly for applications breast cancer, vascular disease, and kidney disease. Ultrasonics, signal processing, signal detection, elasticity imaging, soft tissue biomechanics, polymer mechanics, complex system modeling.
Laboratory research focuses on the development of novel ultrasonic instrumentation and methods for imaging soft tissue microstructure, viscoelasticity and blood flow. The goal is to understand basic mechanisms of cancerous lesion formation, metastatic progression, responses to therapy, and sources of image contrast. Research includes the fundamentals of imaging system design and performance evaluation, signal processing, detection and estimation. The lab uses polymer hydrogels to develop models of visco- and poroelastic behavior of soft tissues for cancer imaging. Insana's lab also investigates spatio-temporal filtering for noise reduction and enhanced spatial resolution with applications in breast elasticity imaging and arterial-wall shear-stress estimation.
Books Edited or Co-Edited (Original Editions)
- M.F. Insana and S.A. Wickline (editors), Proceedings of the IEEE, Volume 96, No. 3, Special Issue: "Multimodality Biomolecular Imaging", March Issue 2008.
Articles in Conference Proceedings
- Insana MF, "Statistical ultrasonics: the influence of Robert F. Wagner," Proc SPIE Medical Imaging: Image Perception, Observer Performance, and Technology Assessment, vol. 7263, pp. 72630E1-6, 2009.
Selected Articles in Journals
- Coussot, C, Kalyanam, S, Yapp RD, Insana, MF, "Fractional derivative models for ultrasonic characterization of polymer and breast tissue viscoelasticity," IEEE Trans Ultrason Ferro Freq Contrl 56:715-26, 2009.
- Yapp RD, Insana MF, "pH-induced contrast in viscoelasticity imaging of biopolymers," Phys Med Biol 54:1089-1109, 2009.
- Qiu Y, Sridhar M, Tsou JK, Lindfors KK, Insana MF, "Ultrasonic viscoelasticity imaging of nonpalpable breast tumors: preliminary results," Academic Radiol, 15:1526-33, 2008.
- Insana MF, Wickline SA, "Multimodality biomolecular imaging," , Proc IEEE, vol 96, pp 378-81, 2008.
- Tsou JK, Gower RM, Ting HJ, Schaff UY, Insana MF, Passerini AG, Simon SI, "Spatial regulation of inflammation by human aortic endothelial cells in a linear gradient of shear stress," Microcirculation 15:311-23, 2008.
- Tsou JK, Simon SI, Barakat AI, Insana MF, "Role of ultrasonic shear rate estimation errors in assessing inflammatory response and vascular risk," Ultrasound Med Biol, 34: 963-972, 2008.
- Editor-in-Chief, IEEE Trans Medical Imaging (2015-2020).
- Life Fellow of the IEEE - 2020 (2020)
- Fellow of the Acoustical Society of America - 2009
- Fellow of the Institute of Physics - 1999