The Graduate College offers Electronic Thesis Deposit (ETD). The instructions below are for the ETD option. It still is possible to submit your thesis on paper. The Graduate College provides instructions for thesis submission.
- Unless explicitly indicated, these instructions are for both the M.S. thesis and Ph.D. dissertation. The term "thesis" is used below to mean both thesis and dissertation.
- Read the information on the Thesis Office website and mark on your calendar Thesis Deposit Deadlines. However, note that a Department Review of your thesis is required prior to submitting your thesis to the Graduate College. The Bioengineering department deadline for reviewing theses is Monday by noon, 10 days before the Thesis Office Friday deadline.
- Register yourself for graduation on Enterprise when you register for classes or send an e-mail to the Graduate Programs Coordinator, at bioengineering [at] illinois [dot] edu.
- Complete M.S. thesis. For formatting guidelines, see the Graduate College website on Thesis Requirements.
- Complete title page check. Send your thesis title page to the Thesis Office at thesis [at] illinois [dot] edu. This needs to be done several weeks before the deposit deadline.
- Eliminate copyright issues. You are required to have letters of permission from any publisher with whom you previously published your work and who has a copyright on that work. Unresolved copyright issues can delay thesis submission and graduation.
- For Ph.D. dissertation deposit only: You will need to fill out the publication agreement with ProQuest, the thesis publisher used by the University of Illinois. This agreement specifies under what conditions your dissertation will be made available to the public.
- Submit your thesis to your advisor for final review and approval. Once you advisor approves your thesis, prepare the Thesis/Dissertation Approval Form and ask your advisor to sign it. (The name and thesis title on the Certificate of Committee Approval must match the thesis title page exactly.)
- Submit the Certificate of Committee Approval and e-mail your finished thesis in a PDF format to the Bioengineering Graduate Programs Coordinator for department format review.
- For M.S. students only: Request Supplemental Grade Form for advisor signature from the Graduate Programs Coordinator in order to change 599 DFR grades to "S."
- The Bioengineering Graduate Programs Coordinator will forward your thesis to the Department Head and/or Director of Graduate Programs for the Department Head review. Once approved, the Department Head will sign the Certificate of Committee Approval.
- The Graduate Programs Coordinator will contact you to pick up your finished Certificate of Committee Approval form.
- Create Electronic Thesis Deposit account and upload thesis several days before the Thesis Office deadline. Submit Certificate of Committee Approval along with any copyright permissions letters in paper to the Thesis Office.
- Deposit PDF thesis to the Graduate Programs Coordinator. Bound theses are not required. If bound, thesis should be bound in black book cover with gold lettering on the spine. Include name, degree, and year (example: John R. Doe, M.S. ~ 2007). In Champaign-Urbana you can use Lincoln Bookbindery, 1601 N. Coler, Urbana, phone 217-328-2613.