A micro-urban community, Champaign-Urbana combines a friendly small-town atmosphere with big city amenities like Big10 Division I sports, marquee theatrical and musical performances, and top-rated health and recreational facilities. We’re centrally located between Chicago (140 miles north of us), Indianapolis (125 miles east), and St. Louis (170 miles to the southwest).
You’ll love how everything is more affordable here, too; C-U’s cost of living is less than cities like Atlanta (10% higher), Berkeley (92% higher), Palo Alto (140% higher), and Boston (60% higher).*
Here are some other reasons you’ll love Champaign-Urbana and the University of Illinois:
- Ranked by Business Insider as one of the best small cities for educated millenials.
- In 2016, the U of I was designated a top 10 University for VC-Backed Entrepreneurs (Pitchbook and Entrepreneur Magazine).
- Our students ranked #5 among engineering students most prepared for the workforce, Wall Street Journal employer survey.
- The Brookings Institute called Champaign-Urbana one of the top U.S. locations for per-capita venture capital.
- Popular Mechanics designated C-U a Best Start-Up City in America. (2015)
*Sperling’s Best Places cost of living calculator