andrew [dot] michael [dot] smith [at] gmail [dot] com
3114 Micro and Nanotechnology Lab
208 N. Wright Street
- Ph.D. Bioengineering, Georgia Institute of Technology
- B.S. Chemistry, Georgia Institute of Technology
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Emory University, 2008-2012
- Assistant Professor, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Department of Bioengineering, 2012-Present
- Smith AM, Wen MW, Wang MD, Nie SM. Size-minimized quantum dots for molecular and cellular imaging, chapter in Single Molecule Spectroscopy in Chemistry, Physics, and Biology: Nobel Symposium, Springer (2009).
- Rhyner MN, Smith AM, Gao XH, Mao H, Lily L, Nie SM. Quantum dots and targeted nanoparticle probes for in-vivo tumor imaging, chapter in Nanoparticles in Biomedical Imaging, Springer (2007).
- Ruan G, Agrawal A, Smith AM, Gao XH, Nie SM. Quantum dots as fluorescent labels for molecular and cellular imaging, chapter in Reviews in Fluorescence, Springer (2006).
- Smith AM and Nie SM. Semiconductor quantum dots for molecular and cellular imaging, chapter in The Biomedical Engineering Handbook, 3rd edition, CRC Press (2006).
- Smith AM and Nie SM. Compact quantum dots for single-molecule imaging. Invited article for Journal of Visualized Experiments, 68: e4236 (2012).
- Smith AM and Nie SM. Bright and compact alloyed quantum dots with broadly tunable near-infrared absorption and fluorescence spectra through mercury cation exchange, Journal of the American Chemical Society, 133: 24-26 (2011).
- Smith AM, Wen MM, and Nie SM. Imaging dynamic cellular events with quantum dots. The Biochemist, 32:12-17 (2010).
- Smith AM and Nie SM. Semiconductor nanocrystals: structure, properties, and bandgap engineering. Accounts of Chemical Research, 43: 190-200 (2010).
- Smith AM, Mancini MC, Nie SM. Bioimaging: second window for in vivo imaging, News and Views article in Nature Nanotechnology, 4: 710-711 (2009).
- Smith AM and Nie SM. Next-generation quantum dots, News and Views article in Nature Biotechnology, 27: 732-733 (2009).
- Mohs AM, Duan, HW, Kairdolf BA, Smith AM, Nie SM. Proton-resistant quantum dots: stability in gastrointestinal fluids and implications for oral delivery of nanoparticle agents. Nano Research, 2: 500-509 (2009).
- Smith AM, Mohs AM, Nie SM. Tuning the electronic and optical properties of quantum dots by lattice strain. Nature Nanotechnology, 4: 56-63 (2009).
- Smith AM, Nie SM. Nanocrystal synthesis in an amphibious bath: spontaneous generation of hydrophilic and hydrophobic surface coatings. Angewandte Chemie International Edition, 47: 9916-9921 (2008).
- Kairdolf BA, Smith AM, Nie SM. One-pot synthesis, encapsulation, and solubilization of size-tuned quantum dots with amphiphilic multidentate ligands. Journal of the American Chemical Society, 130: 12866-12867 (2008).
- Smith AM, Nie SM. Minimizing the hydrodynamic size of quantum dots with multifunctional multidentate polymer ligands. Journal of the American Chemical Society, 130: 11278-11279 (2008).
- Mancini MC, Kairdolf BA, Smith AM, Nie SM. Oxidative quenching and degradation of polymer encapsulated quantum dots: new insights into the long term fate of semiconductor nanocrystals in vivo. Journal of the American Chemical Society, 130: 10836-10837 (2008).
- Smith AM, Duan HW, Mohs AM, Nie SM. Bioconjugated quantum dots for in vivo molecular and cellular imaging. Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, 60: 1226-1240 (2008).
- Kairdolf BA, Mancini MC, Smith AM, Nie SM. Minimizing nonspecific cellular binding of quantum dots with hydroxyl-derivitized surface coatings. Analytical Chemistry, 80: 3029 (2008).
- Xing Y, Smith AM, Agrawal A, Ruan G, Nie SM. Molecular profiling of single cancer cells and clinical tissue specimens with semiconductor quantum dots. International Journal of Nanomedicine, 1: 473-481 (2006).
- Smith AM, Duan HW, Rhyner MN, Ruan G, Nie SM. A systematic examination of surface coatings on the optical and chemical properties of semiconductor quantum dots. Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, 8: 3895-3903 (2006).
- Rhyner MN, Smith AM, Gao XH, Mao H, Yang L, Nie SM. Quantum dots and multifunctional nanoparticles: new contrast agents for tumor imaging. Nanomedicine, 1: 209-217 (2006).
- Smith AM, Dave S, Nie SM, True L, Gao XH. Multicolor quantum dots for molecular diagnostics of cancer. Expert Review of Molecular Diagnostics, 6: 231-244 (2006).
- Smith AM, Ruan G, Rhyner MN, Nie SM. Engineering luminescent quantum dots for in vivo molecular and cellular imaging. Annals of Biomedical Engineering, 34: 3-14 (2006).
- Smith AM, Gao XH, Nie SM. Quantum dot nanocrystals for in vivo molecular and cellular imaging. Photochemistry and Photobiology, 80: 377-385 (2004). [Cover article]
- Bailey RE, Smith AM, Nie SM. Quantum dots in biology and medicine. Physica E, 25: 1-12 (2004).
- Smith AM, Nie SM. Chemical analysis and cellular imaging with quantum dots. Analyst, 129: 672-677 (2004). [Cover article]
Research Service Honors
- Annals of Biomedical Engineering 2006 Best Review Paper of the Year
- Outstanding Poster Award, Emory-Georgia Tech Frontiers of Cancer Nanotechnology Symposium
- Photochemistry and Photobiology 2004 Best Review Paper of the Year
- Biomedical Engineering Society Undergraduate Research Award
- Emory University Center for Cancer Nanotechnology Excellence Distinguished Fellowship
- Whitaker Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship
- NSF Undergraduate Research Scholarship
- Lubrizol Scholarship for Excellence in Chemistry
- Outstanding Rising Junior in Computer Science